Re: Cygwin and crosstool! (vmlinux.lds.asm problem with 2.6.12.5case-insensitive build patch from crosstool)

Dave Korn wrote:
Not surprising.  The maintainers of the affected parts of the
kernel refuse to support case insensitive filesystems.

They're within their rights I suppose, it's not posix compliant. Anyway, I've got an effective enough workaround, which is just to use the AFLAGS_ instead. Oh, and to go and rename a bunch of files in netfilter :-(

Been there. Tried that. Netfilter uses the case of filenames in its code at runtime (!). You'd need to modify netfilter to use a different way of encoding state in filenames. I was willing, but not if the netfilter people were going to refuse the patch.

You should probably not use that patch for real kernel work.
Instead, if you're stuck on cygwin, mount a directory
in managed (i.e. case sensitive) mode for building the
kernel; then you don't need the patch.

Yeh, that's a better option long-term. I'm not so happy with the mangled names and the overhead though, but fortunately I just discovered FILE_FLAG_POSIX_SEMANTICS, so I can always throw something together.

Boy, you like pain, don't you? :-)

I repeat: if you must build the linux kernel under cygwin,
use managed mode, and only look at that directory
through cygwin (so you don't see the mangled names).
Anything else and you're asking for trouble.

If the overhead bothers you, perhaps you should try running
CoLinux or something... that would let you run real Linux on
your Windows box next to Windows.  cygwin has lots of
overhead even without managed mode.  (Does managed mode
really slow anything down?  I've never tried it.)
- Dan