Re: Cross Compiler question (the essence of a Canadian Cross Compiler)

J. Robert Wyatt wrote:
The liberals, conservatives, and NDP were the party names when this term was
likely coined ... Since I left, they renamed a few things ;-)

So, that being said, if I wanted to use crosstool for this second compiler,
what is the "preferred" way to have crosstool do the work of generating the
host=target compiler? Would that be setting an environment variable like
"HOST" to be equal to the same as the target that was generated in the first
build? As well, I guess that the "RESULT_TOP should be named different too
to avoid overwritting the first build?

Well, most importantly, you have to set CC and friends to point to the results of the first crosstool run before running crosstool for the second compiler; otherwise the resulting compiler won't run on your host, right?

I've put a draft of an old script I used last
year to do canadian cross builds at
http://kegel.com/crosstool/canadian-foo.sh.txt

Have a look at the function setCanadianCrossVariables()
to see how I set variables when building the
final compiler.

Since you're not doing a full canadian cross, you might
not need quite all the foo that's in there, but
it might be a useful place to look to see which
environment variables need to be set.
- Dan