armv5b-softfloat with gcc-3.4.3 and glibc-2.3.3

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your excellent crosstool script which has made building cross
compilers a breeze.

Just wanted to share my experience building a big endian toolchain for
IXP425 with crosstool-0.28-rc37.

I used armv5b-softfloat-linux with the following configuration.
==================gcc-3.4.3-glibc-2.3.3.dat=========================
BINUTILS_DIR=binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2
GCC_DIR=gcc-3.4.3
GLIBC_DIR=glibc-2.3.3
LINUX_DIR=linux-2.6.8
GLIBCTHREADS_FILENAME=glibc-linuxthreads-2.3.3

Although the glibc built works well for applications on 2.6 arm kernels,
I faced various issues on system with 2.4 kernels such zombie process,
module loading problems.

Apparently, this was due to some system calls removed during 2.6
especially related to module loading.

To overcome this problem, after some googling, instead of using the
plain kernel-2.6.8 headers, I have replaced the kernel "include" folder
with Mariusz Mazur's linux-libc-headers-2.6.8.1 from

http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/linux-libc-headers/

Then removed the following conflicting patches from patches/linux-2.6.8
kaz-types.patch
linux-2.6.8-m68k-kludge.patch

and re-compiled. I have been using this toolchain compiling, 2.4 kernels
and userland for about 3 weeks and have found no issues so far.

>From my experience, it seems better to use linux-libc-headers than using
headers from kernel sources.

Thanks
Vinay

--
Views expressed in this mail are those of the individual sender and
do not bind Gsec1 Limited. or its subsidiary, unless the sender has done