Re: [Patch] crosstool w/ glibc-2.3.3 on Mac OS X

Martin Schaffner wrote:
Could you perhaps disable the check more carefully, e.g. wrap it in
  if test x$enable_sanity=xyes; then
  fi
Since crosstool uses --disable-sanity-checks when installing glibc
headers, that should do the trick.

Unfortunately, --disable-sanity-checks is not used everywhere: ...

Needs a little debugging, then. A little set -x and a few echos will probably show what the problem is. Also, maybe we should disable just the setting of critic_missing, or clear it afterwards, rather than trying to disable the whole version check....

http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/comp-general.php?#basic-headers
says that there is, too, a stddef.h if you have the right packages
installed. Maybe we should update our installation instructions instead?

True, there is such a file on my system:
martin$ head /usr/include/stddef.h ...
but unfortunately, its include path is not found by gcc when processing bits/stdio_lim.st:

Right, nevermind, I was wrong to suggest using the system's copy.

... { echo '#include "posix/bits/posix1_lim.h"'; \
echo '#define _LIBC 1'; \
echo '#include "misc/sys/uio.h"'; } | \
gcc ...-Isysdeps/generic/elf -Isysdeps/generic -nostdinc -isystem include -isystem /opt/crosstool/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-3.4.1-glibc-2.3.3/powerpc- unknown-linux-gnu/include -xc - -o /build/crosstool-0.28-rc37/build/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-3.4.1- glibc-2.3.3/build-glibc-headers/bits/stdio_lim.hT
In file included from posix/sys/types.h:31,
from include/sys/types.h:1,
from misc/sys/uio.h:24,
from <stdin>:3:
sysdeps/generic/bits/types.h:31:20: No include path in which to find stddef.h

Oh. I guess stddef.h is created when gcc is installed, but gcc isn't installed yet at that point. Great, one more circular dependency. Thanks, Ulrich!

Your fix was probably too rough; I suspect we only want to
mess with the initial header install.  (I jumped through
a few hoops already here with gcc-2.3.2, see the comments in crosstool.sh.)
Maybe simply touching stddef.h somewhere would do it,
or maybe stddef.h actually has to have something in it then,
I don't know.   I'm too tired to look at it to see if your
fix actually does any harm at the moment...

- Dan