Re: some confusion w/ crosstool-0.28-rc37

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 09:12, Dan Kegel wrote:

< snip Jay's rambling >
> > it looked like a success. However, when I ran
> > 'testhello.sh', it exited & closed the terminal.
>
> testhello.sh is not meant to be run standalone; it requires you
> to set PREFIX.  It's already run by demo-*.sh, so you don't really
> need to run it yourself; if it fails, it will leave an error message
> at the end of the demo-*.sh output.

OK - thanks. I was trying to follow the "how-to"... 5th para. of
http://kegel.com/crosstool/current/doc/crosstool-howto.html  says:

"Use testhello.sh to compile simple statically linked 'hello, world'
programs in both C and C++, and try to run them on the target."

I actually did read the script, but didn't study it closely enough to
pick up on the PREFIX requirement.

> > This must sound awfully stupid... the only thing I can figure is that
> > some of the environment variables I set up during my attempts to
> > manually build a toolchain got picked up by the crosstool shell.
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to untangle this rat's nest I've created? Can I
> > just rm -r /home/jamoore/emb, and /home/jamoore/crosstool, reboot and
> > start over?
>
> What you saw could have been caused by setting PREFIX to /home/jamoore/emb/tools.

Apparently that is exactly what happened. I reviewed some of what I'd
done "manually: (iaw Yaghmour), and found I'd done this:

$ export PREFIX=${PRJROOT}/tools

Oddly though, 'env | grep PREFIX' draws a blank. In fact 'env' shows
none of the environment vars I set per Yaghmour?! I haven't logged off
since my OP early this AM. And I do recall now that I _did_ shutdown
between setting the "Yaghmour" env vars & running crosstool. (I must be
in the friggin' Twilight Zone again  :)

At any rate, I'll follow your advice below & let you know the result.
Thanks again for your help!

Jay