Re: reporting crosstool success from mac osx -> arm-linux for nslu2

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 06:35:09 -0800, Dan Kegel <dank@kegel.com> wrote:
> > My directions are on the nslu2 wiki site at:
> > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CompileCrossToolOnOSX
>
> Hey, that's nice.  I'll happily link to or incorporate that.
> I suspect, though, that using fink (or that other
> package) would be easier for most people.
> That's the approach I mention in my MacOSX notes
> http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc37/doc/crosstool-howto.html#buildnotes
> (did you see that?)

Glanced at it, but wasn't confident exactly which steps were required
for my particular mac/nslu2.  I was afraid that the super-script
approach might fail and I'd have no idea what/why.  Having built the
avr-gcc toolchain several times I felt confident so I attacked each of
the arm-linux programs one at a time.  glibc was the toughest! Once I
had the individual tools building I figured it was ok to try
crosstool. (I still haven't been able to build the latest glibc
manually.)

> > When I find time I'd like to submit some glibc configure patches.  Not
> > so much to
> > solve configure problems, but to avoid the "hang forever on sed" and
> > "assume readelf
> > exists" type of things...
>
> Sounds like a good idea.   Maybe you could contribute them
> to crosstool first, then once they get a good shakedown there,
> submit them directly to the glibc project?

sure

> > I couldn't find any instructions for the mac so i don't know if I'm
> > duplicating any efforts. If you have any comments I'd appreciate
> > hearing about them.
>
> I think the crosstool-howto.html in rc35 was just as up to date
> as the one I link to above.  Did you notice the MacOSX section in it?

Didn't see it (remember I was trying brute force on each tool.  As I googled
each problem I kept finding references to crosstool.  But I didn't start there.)

The next section is for my reference don't feel obligated to answer.
comparing my notes to your documentation I'm curious about:
  gawk - I didn't seem to need a new copy (maybe for testing?)
  readline - glibc assumes this?
  expr - glibc breaks the default OSX expr?
  gettext - glibc configure requires this?
  install - ?? one of the tools needed this from crosstool?

thanks,
randy