Re: unsetting LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
now, i figured out right away that i could fix this by unsetting my
shell env variable.  but i really, really, really, *really* am not
keen on scripts or programs that require me to mess with my shell
environment.  if having an empty LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a requirement for
crosstool to work, then, in my opinion, it should take care of that
itself.  (i've had some local, real knock down arguments over just
this point.)

having the script clear that variable is, in no sense, a "dirty trick"
as long as it's not affecting the user's shell environment.  as an
alternative, i guess i could just run:

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" sh demo....

That's what you should do, then. (Or write a little shell script so you don't have to type that every time.)

I don't want to clear it in crosstool.sh simply because some
people might require LD_LIBRARY_PATH set for their basic
tools to function.

That's all on this topic; I'm not in a mood to argue about it.
(I'd reconsider if a couple people older and wiser than me
said it was a good idea, though.)
- Dan