Re: Static linked cross tools

Allen,

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Allen Curtis wrote:

So the question is:
Why do you want statically linked tools? Do you need to run the tools on
different systems with different libraries, or any other reason to not use
dynamic libraries *to run the tools in the toolchain*? Or do you only need
your crosstools to generate statically linked programs?

We want to build the executables statically linked so they can run on different workstations. Typically we put the development tools on a server and everyone uses the same toolchain. This does not mean that we do not want to create dynamically linked programs.

Sorry to jump in late, and possibly even be redundant. But I would like to point you to what I said a while ago on this list regarding this. Please see

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2004-04/msg00003.html

FWIW, we have (almost) completely abandonded static linking, as it does not serve the purpose to get reliable binaries for ANY workstation. It is much safer to let references resolve dynamically until the point where it just doesn't work.

Regards,
Marius

--
Marius Groeger <mgroeger@sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software