RE: autoconf usage question

>Can you give more context?  How did the question come up?

I noticed that, possibly due to "misconfigured" (non-standard,
non-conventional) placement of the s/w
 (compiler, binutils, libraries, includes) on my system, which has both
native and cross-compiler gcc,
 unless I use the shell script with env vars, pointing to the right
"full-path",
 the ./configure does not "guess" correctly that "user wants" the native
compiler to be used
 (rather then cross-compiler), even with the "options hint",
having all 3 options (--build, --host and --target) being all set pointing
to the "native" architecture ...

The ./configure still picks the wrong compiler, fails the tests, pics wrong
incudes, etc ... .
Also the "cache persistency" is the problem (IMHO) - if the options or env
vars got changed - the "cached info"
needs to be not used by "configure' ... (at least I would like to have such
behaviour)