Cross-compiling toolchain default location choice

Hi,

After having successfully built a cross-compiling toolchain thanks to
cross-lfs (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ryan/scripts/cross-lfs/),
I'm trying to adapt the wonderful scripts written by Ryan Oliver for
the Linux From Scratch system, to the form of some package building
scripts for the GNU/Linux distribution I'm using at the moment, CRUX
(http://www.crux.nu/), a lightweight source-based GNU/Linux
distribution.

Unfortunately while trying to accomplish this task I'm facing some
problems, first of all the choice of the cross-compiling toolchain
default location.

What do you think is the best location in the filesystem for the
cross-compiling toolchain or, in other words, what do you think is
the best configure time prefix to use? At the moment I put it into
/opt/ppc/usr but I wonder whether is there a way to make it to
coexist with the "regular" toolchain in /usr or whether is there a
better location to put it into.

Another problem I'm facing from the package management point of view
are the files that gcc and glibc share among the different build
steps.

Let's take for example the case of gcc. The gcc-static package shares
all of its files with the gcc-shared package while the following
files are included in the gcc-shared package only.

$PREFIX/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/3.3.3-hammer/libgcc_eh.a
$PREFIX/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/
$PREFIX/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/
$PREFIX/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/libgcc_s.so -> libgcc_s.so.1
$PREFIX/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/libgcc_s.so.1

Should gcc-shared be seen as a gcc-static "upgrade"? Or may I safely
delete from the gcc-shared package all the files already installed by
gcc-static and leave only the new ones (namely libgcc_eh.a and
libgcc_s.so*)?

What when, just like in the case of the different glibc builds, the
two packages shares only some files?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.
--
Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
``Don't bother us with politics,'' respond those who don't

 -- Richard M. Stallman
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/linux-gnu-freedom.html