Re: mips64 glibc

> > I've noticed that if I try to configure glibc for mips64 it include
> > sysdeps/mips/Implies and sysdeps/mip/mips64/implies. The former causes
> > sysdeps/wordsize-32 to be included
>
> You must be looking at a very outdated version of glibc.  In the
> current sources, wordsize-32 is Implied by sysdeps/mips/mips32
> and sysdeps/mips/mips64/n32, and wordsize-64 is Implied by
> sysdeps/mips/mips64/n64.

Not so much outdated, it's 2.3.2, but then the CVS version has progressed an
enormous amount since the last release. What I've been doing is pulling your
patches from the cvs archive in an attempt to patch it into my current
version. I'm up to something like 32 individual changes, and I've read a lot
of the discussion, but not being a gcc developer, I'm a bit lost on much of
the discussion :) I'd simply check out the most recent gcc from the CVS
archive, but I'm not at all sure it's stable or than mips64 isn't busted
somehow. Plus I'm learning a lot this way.

I've got it most of the way through compiling, but my latest weirdness is
that gcc is putting function calls inline for long double floating point
(things like __subtf3()), but I can't seem to find those in gcclib. I
haven't really had a chance to look at it yet though. I don't think that
will turn out to be a huge problem.

> I had it working at some point.

Apparently. In fact I'd be completely on my own if it wasn't for you pushing
to get mips64 support into glibc. I gathered from discussions that a certain
developer didn't care for how MIPS ABIs were structured and was resistant to
allowing support for them in glibc. I just wanted to thank you for your
perserverance in getting mips64 support into glibc. I know you lost
enthusaism for the project along the way and just wanted to let you know
there are people out there who appreciate your efforts. Thanks.

> > can I compile glibc for mips with a compiler configured for mips64
> > and use the result to build a full gcc compiler for mips64
>
> I had a native compiler bootstrapped back then.  But that was a while
> ago.

As I mentioned I think I'm close to getting it cross compiling. It's just a
matter of time.