Linux to Cygwin gcc build problem - cannot create executables

Hello,

I'm making my first attempt at building a cross compiler.
The binutils make went fine, but I'm getting this error
building gcc:

checking whether the C compiler ( /oss/src/gcc-3.3.2/build/gcc/xgcc
-B/oss/src/gcc-3.3.2/build/gcc/
-B/cygwin/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/
-B/cygwin/i686-pc-cygwin/lib/
-isystem /cygwin/i686-pc-cygwin/include -O2 -g -O2 ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.
make: *** [configure-target-libiberty] Error 1

The binaries from the binutils build (ar, as, dlltool, etc.) are in my
/cygwin/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ directory and executable, shared libs in
/cygwin/i686-pc-cygwin/lib/, and headers in /cygwin/i686-pc-cygwin/include/.
Just running /oss/src/gcc-3.3.2/build/gcc/xgcc gives me the expected
"No input files" so it's not a permissions problem there.

Like I said, it's my first time building a cross compiler, so I'm not
sure where to go from here. This is on a minimal Fedora Core 1 box, so
its possible I don't have something that configure doesn't check for installed,
though I've of course got all the obvious things (gcc, binutils, libtool, etc.).