Re: unable to build arm9 gdb lack of termcap, termcap not provided by ncurses, rather terminfo

On Thursday 30 October 2003 16:18, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Wolcott, Ken (MED, Compuware) wrote:
> >   I'm still unable to build an arm9 gdb using Dan Kegel's crosstool
> > (http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/) and a patched (ncurses-5.3-20031025)
> > ncurses-5.3 because it complains about a missing termcap.  ncurses
> > provides terminfo but I don't see a termcap.  The patched ncurses-53
> > apparently builds successfully if I turn off ada language support.
> > crosstool apparently builds the arm9 cross toolchain successfully.
> > Perhaps I haven't placed the libraries generated by ncurses in the
> > correct location for the gdb build to see them.  I copied
> > /tmp/ncurses/src/lib/* to the lib dir created by crosstool.  Perhaps gdb
> > configure needs to be told where to get libraries from?  Bzip2'd output
> > from the gdb build attempt and the script that initiates the build are
> > attached.
>
> (A couple tips:
> add set -x to your build scripts in the future, makes the logs easier to
> read. add set -e as well, so the script aborts at first error.)
>
> The thing to do here is to read gdb's configure script to see where it is
> outputting that error message, "configure: error: no termcap library
> found". That will tell you how it's looking for the library.
>
> Another thing you could do is use your cross-compiler to do a trivial
> program that uses ncurses.  If it doesn't compile, or doesn't link, you
> have installed ncurses wrong.
>
> If you copied the files by hand, you probably installed them wrong.
> It's better form to use ncurses' "make install" rule to install the files.
> You may need to override the destination directory when you do this.
> To tell how to do this, either read the ncurses Makefile, or look
> at how some other package cross-builds and installs ncurses.  ptxdist
> does the install step like this:
>
> make DESTDIR=$(CROSS_LIB_DIR) prefix='' exec_prefix='' install
>
> where CROSS_LIB_DIR is $(PTXCONF_PREFIX)/$(PTXCONF_GNU_TARGET)
> or something like /opt/crosstool/$(TARGET)/$(TOOLCOMBO)/$(TARGET)
>
> - Dan

Hi Dan;

  I'm trying to remember to append my replies to the bottom of existing msgs
:-)

  I added -ex to my script.

  I looked at gdb configure and the resultant Makefile for the specific error
string...it is very hard for me to follow :-(

looking for termcap in configure:
grep termcap ../gdb-6.0/configure
    configdirs="$configdirs libtermcap" ;;
    target_configdirs="$target_configdirs target-libtermcap target-winsup"

looking for termcap in Makefile generates lots of output, but in that output,
library is not found:

grep termcap Makefile | grep library
<no putput>

I changed the make install line for ncurses compile script to point to the lib
generated by crosstool.  Looks like the libraries were written there
successfully.  But the gdb compile still fails for the same reason.

:-(

Ken