Re: Insight as cross-debugger: How to handle tcl?

Duane Ellis wrote:

This is really a question for the insight mailing list

insight@sources.redhat.com

Maybe I'll subscribe... I do believe that there are too many mailing lists in the world, though...

However - I'll point out a few things - We use INSIGHT here all the
time - it's great - works on both Linux and Cygwin transparently - it
also works well with our www.epitools.com majic boxes.

I'd rather not install this TCL setup, at least not on the default

location,

We have the same problem here.

probably lead to conflicts with the other tcl packages on my system

and/or between cross-debuggers for different targets.

We run about 4 different versions of insight - (we have some custom
cpus we developed in house)

Interesting...

1. Can I tell insight (at build time) to use my standard TCL

installation?

You don't really want to do that. It's very problematic. Nasty problems.

Yeah, I suspected that...

2. If not, can I configure the package to install the supplied TCL

  setup on an unique location where only the corresponding insight
  build will see it?

Use the source luke.

You *CANNOT* do this with a binary distribution - because TCL Compiles
in hard coded paths inside various executables... grrr and double
grrr...

Don't blame TCL - GCC does this too - with it's specs file, grr,
and double grr...

However - with a source distribution, this is exactly what the
--prefix and --exec-prefix is used for. non-standard path. Same is
true of all the other gnu tools including GCC and BINUTILS.

I was thinking that couldn't want to use "--prefix", since I wanted to change the prefix of TCL, not everything else. It seems like (not quite finished building yet) I'll get the structure I want if I also pass --exec-prefix like you suggest, though. Thanks.

Note that I also considered overriding "datadir" instead, but as I indicated elsewhere, that's not entirely straight forward, as Makefile.in on various directories use @datadir@ the wrong way...

- Toralf