Re: newbie question: how to patch for an arm-920TDI target using crosstool?

Hi Dan;

  Thank you for your condolences :-)  I'd prefer CVS over ClearCase, but
that's what they use here and they think they are getting a good deal :-)

  I was unable to convince gcc 3.3 configure to generate statically by using
"--disable-shared" or "--enable-static", but if I modified the Makefile
generated by configure so that the LD flag was given "-static" rather than no
arguments, it seemed to work as ldd reported no linkages to external
libraries.  So I guess I need to figure out how to modify the LD line in the
associated Makefile(s) using sed (?) after configure has run for gcc.  I
think that it is a configure bug in gcc that does not place the "-static"
argument to LD, but I'm a newbie, not sure I can substantiate that opinion.

  Meanwhile, I'll be looking at the crosstool script(s) more intently to
understand the magic :-)

  We are using Red Hat 8.0 primarily, but some are using Red Hat 9.0 and who
knows what some people have done to modify/upgrade/enhance/customize their
systems.  Might have some people using Debian or Slackware, not sure.

  Thanks very much for your help.  I'll report back results from my efforts.

Ken

--
Kenneth A. Wolcott
Consultant, Clinical Systems Engineering