Re: arm-elf-gcc binaries

> > I have built a tool-chain for arm-elf-gcc on both linux redhat
> > 7.3 and cygwin win32.
> >
> > I would like to ditribute these tools as part of a development
> > kit. questions are:
> >
> > 1. can any body with cygwin (no matter which version ) or
> > anybody with redhat linux run these?
>
> For Linux, I can be a bit more specific: the tools should work
> for anybody who has a compatible version of glibc (and is
> running on a compatible architecture, of course).

At the shop I worked for previously, we shipped our in-house builds
of binutils, gcc, and gdb off to several different developer partners.
All our internal development machines were Debian x86 boxes, and our
build process resulted in .deb packages.  But we used alien to convert
them to RPMs, and I had heard many accounts that RedHat, Mandrake, and
SuSE installations used by our partners accepted those RPMs just fine.

So yes, as long as the target box has a compatible glibc, and you
install in all the same paths (something we didn't have to worry about
by using a package manager), everything should be fine.

BTW, it'll be plenty obvious if you violate the "compatible version of
glibc".  Anything the user tries to run from your package will fail
right away with an error message from ld.so complaining about missing
glibc version tags or somesuch.  (I've seen the error message before; I
can't remember it exactly, and it's a pain to conjure it up at will, so
you'll pardon me if I don't. :)

Happy distributing!

                           Carl Miller
                           Firmware Engineer