Re: Bill's script and glibc-2.2.2. Updated patch.

Peter Barada wrote:
I think you have a real error here. Gcc should *never* crash

Correct.

> so I'd suggest that you file a PR for this.

I might agree with you if it happens in a newer gcc, but this was in
gcc2.95.3.  Also, it was already reported on gcc-bugs:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/1998-06/msg00168.html
complete with workaround.

I will, however, post an easy-to-apply patch to implement
the workaround, if I ever get my script to run all the way through
and generate a working linux toolchain :-)

The latest wonderful error in my quest to actually build a working toolchain from scratch:

install-info: creating new section `GNU Libraries:'
install-info: no sections yet, creating Miscellaneous section too.
make[2]: *** [install] Error 139
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home3/dank/bg/b/glibc-2.2.2/manual'
make[1]: *** [manual/subdir_install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home3/dank/bg/b/glibc-2.2.2'
make: *** [/home3/dank/bg/p/powerpc-linux/include/gnu/stubs.h] Error 2

I appear to have accidentally reproduced Debian bug 158297
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=158297)

This is on Debian 3.0, btw, and although one of those bug reports blames
perl 5.8, I'm running 5.6.1.

Workaround: make info twice. Bleah.

I'm *really* hoping that when I update this script to 3.2.3, all of
this crud errors go away.  The only reason I'm plowing through them
is to get a good baseline script.   I feel like a man condemned to
visit all previous gcc build bugs.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel