Re: why is xgcc invoked during a cross build of gcc?

Rick:

> I understand that the math operations helper library might be needed
> on some platforms, to complete a fully useful installation of gcc.
> But is that the only thing that is built with xgcc?  What if I don't
> care, in the case of embedded work which may never trigger gcc to
> utilize the helper library.

The main (only?) offender is gcc/libgcc2.c.  Not only does it have the
math helpers, it also has your atexit() and gccmain() (or __main())
implementations.

> My cross build works fine up until the time it starts to do things
> which invoke the xgcc which was built.  Usually complaints about
> missing header files. My current config is also complaining at the
> point at which it trys to test that the local xgcc is working,
> yielding a result of 'no', and then goes ahead to try to use it
> anyway.

Hmmm, I think that implies a header file installation problem.  When
you build your bootstrap, do you use the "all-gcc" target?

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
I'm an embedded Linux developer first, Linux instructor second.