Re: arm-wince-pe: output problem w/GCC 3.2

Here is some advice which may well falls into the *ANY* that you seem looking
for.

Craig Vanderborgh wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> We are determined to get a cross-compiler for arm-wince-pe working
> on RedHat 7.1.  Some progress has been made in this direction.  We now
> have builds of binutils-2.13 and gcc-3.2 that create running binaries.
> However the results are "not quite there yet"...

This is a relatvely easy part, you got some form of executable file that a
Windows CE loader recognizes, didn't you?

> What I have been able to show is "working" is only this:  If
> I compile a module w/GCC w/o any text strings that does a few simple
> things, I can call the functions in this module from a main()
> built w/EVC (and linked w/EVC) and the functions in my GCC-compiled
> module will work on my Windows CE 3.0 target.

Or perhaps you didn't even got to the point where the gnu linker produces the
executable for you. You got some object files having a procedure calling
convention compatible with w/EVC.

> Thus, my cross-compiled
> GCC DOES work on some level.  But anything more involved than this fails.
>
> For example, if I compile and link the following mind-numbingly simple
> program:
>
> #include <windef.h>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
> {
>
>   FILE *fp;
>
>   fp = fopen("/temp/foo", "wb");
>   fclose(fp);
>
>   printf("Hello, ");
>   printf("World\n");
>
>   getchar();
>   return(0);
> }
>
> and run it on the target, "nothing" happens.  Presumably the startup code
> or something else is wrong, but I am unsure what I should do next.  Any
> help from the experts with this would be VASTLY appreciated.

You mean you whish the cross-compiled glibc to work for a flavor of the Windows
(CE 3.0) execution environment! Some organization created Cygwin for a related
requirement and they put a lot of effort into it (one might guess). Perhaps you
should look at Cygwin, msys, and mingw. As I understand it, they somehow emulate
the linux APIs so that GNU tools can more easily create executable programs for
Windows.

> A question:  *SHOULD* this work?  Or am I in "not a supported configuration"
> hell?

There is no "hell." The free compilers come full of functionality which you
*may* use. You might be facing the Babel tower between the vastly diverging
assumptions about the execution environment in Windows vs Linux/Unix.

As I understand it, you should take one side (proprietary route, or free
software route) unless you whish to invest considerable time and effort to adapt
to the embedded world what makes sense in the mass market world. Is your
determination so strong?

> TIA,
> craig vanderborgh
> voxware incorporated