Re: darwin->arm-linux

>  Is your aim "to build a toolchain for arm-linux hosted on osX 10.2",
> ie. the results are not important but that the build succeeds is...
> Or "to get a toolchain for arm-linux hosted on osX 10.2", ie.
> building again the already got parts is not necessary...

well, both really :)
the osX machine is much faster than the debian-ppc box (if you dont take the
time to set up the crosscompiler into account!) so i was hoping to use the
build of the arm toolchain to check the osX build process + get arm-linux
binaires compiler quicker.

>  I just wanted to be sure that you understand that you really
> don't need to rebuild a already built glibc (on Linux/PPC as
> you told), but can simply copy it to the 'secondary' host. In
> this respect you are not in a blind alley... If you only will
> get the OS X hosted binutils and GCC for 'arm-linux', then you
> will get the toolchain...

i tried this, and it seems to work (but i was hoping to avoid it) .  thanks.
another problem emerged with the binutils + autoconf versions, which was
solved by downgrading to binutls 2.12.1 and rebuilding autoconf 2.13?

>  For me a more important issue would be how on earth one gets
> a Linux-x-MacOS-X cross-toolchain with the 'Mach-O' target
> format binutils... Then one wouldn't need an Apple-system for
> building some OS X hosted cross-tools, on Linux, Solaris2 (or
> even on Windoze if enjoying any build-problems, a'la OS X ;-)
> Apple seems to provide on sources for the Darwin/OS X C-library,
> no binaries, and no instructions/patches for compiling the
> binutils sources on other hosts than OS X...

let me know of any progress... ,

( i assume --target=powerpc-apple-darwin6.1 should work once apple's changes
are merged back into the gnu toolchain (is it GPL, right?!) .. , i think ill
wait till then)