Re: FW: Query about Cross compiler

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 12:04:27PM -0700, Punn, Kamal wrote:

> My name is kamal and right now we are facing problems in building
> cross-compiler for our sun-3/80.

nice machine.  :)

> Actually we have very old sun server named as sun-3/80.And on this m/c
> we have to run some c++ programs. But unfortunately we don't have
> compiler for c++ on this m/c.  So now we are trying to make
> cross-compiler for sun-3/80.  We are trying to make cross-compiler
> from linux ( i.e gcc 3.2 ) to sun-3/80.

do you have an operating system on the 3/80?

> In the configure command we are using the following options and targer
> m/c. Then it create a Makefile and when we are doing make on this
> file. At last it gives us errors. Below is the configure command,
> please suggest some thing to build cross-compiler for our old sun-3/80
> server. We want to compile all our code with this cross-compiler so
> that we can port our executable to sun-3/80.
> Here is the command:
>
> /gcc/gcc-3.2/configure --prefix=/cross-build -program-prefix=m68 --program-suffix=-3.2 --target=m68k-sun --disable-shared --enable-threads --enable-languages="c,c++" --with-headers=/cross-build/target/sys-include --with-libs=/cross-build/target/lib --with-newlib
>
> This command create Makefile, and after running makefile with command
> make it gives error.

what is the error?  without it we can only guess the problem.

I do not believe newlib is supported for SunOS 3 on sun3 hardware.  you
will need to copy libraries and headers from the sun3 to the linux
machine, as well as having a working cross-assembler and linker
(binutils) on the linux machine.

> Please suggest something regarding this build as we are in urgency of
> this work.

you may find it easier to get a new operating system for your 3/80 which
supports C++ out of the box.  the up-coming release of NetBSD 1.6
(http://www.netbsd.org/) supports C++ as well as cross-compilation of
the base software between NetBSD platforms.

--
  Aaron J. Grier  |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |  aaron@frye.com