Re: Need help configuring uclibc as a native compiler for mipsel

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Joel Coltoff wrote:

> > Are you going to statically link your application or use a shared library?
>
> The stuff we send out uses shared libraries and is cross-compiled on
> another machine. The customers may or may not do things statically.
>

> > d - use a wrapper shell script to link uClibc manually by forcing it not
> > to use the standard libraries
>
> I understand all that. The compiler I want to build needs to be linked
> against uClibc so that when it runs it doesn't look in /lib for libc-2.2.5.so
> and so on. I don't know if there is an option to configure to tell it how
> to do this. I suppose I could do a configure and then edit the Makefiles to
> do statically link against the uClibc files but that is also something I'm
> not 100% sure how to do.

First if you are using shared libraries, then your Config file in uClibc
is configured to build shared libraries and not static libraries.
Assuming that you have installed gcc on your embedded box, then it would
be installed in the following directories:

/usr/bin - GCC and other toolchain binaries reside here

/usr/mipsel-elf/ - Assuming your target is mipsel-elf

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/mipsel-elf/<gcc-version>/ - This directory will contain
the static and usually shared versions of libgcc.  It also contains the
various compile stage binaries such as the preprocessor.  The other
important item you will find in this directory is the *specs* file.

/usr/mipsel-elf/lib - this would contain any static C and other libraries

/usr/mipsel-elf/include - this would contain the header files for the C
library and other libraries in a cross-compiler environment

/usr/include - this would contain header files in a native compiler
environment

There are other directories present, but these are the important ones for
you.  Take a look at the specs file if necessary.  The syntax for specs
files is documented in the comments of gcc.c in the gcc source code.

Also take a look at some of the other files in uClibc, as there should be
a wrapper present for shared native environments.

Faisal