"Template with C linkage" problem with vxworks powerpc cross

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade my cross-compiler for vxworks from the gcc 2.7.2 that is shipped with the product.  The reason for this being that I have
to make use of some external libraries that use namespaces and other features that gcc 2.7.2 does not support.

My development environment and target system are:

Host: 	Sun-Ultra 60 running Solaris 2.6
Target:	PowerPC running vxworks

I have used binutils-2.11.2, and gcc-2.95.4 to create the cross compiler.  The methodology I used to upgrade was the one that Dave Korn suggested on his web page and in his posts here. The reason being that I need to be backwards compatible with the vxworks headers and libraries - and hence the generic FAQ is not directly relevant (i.e newlib).

Anyway after something of a struggle with the fixincs and autogen I managed to get a cross compiler together that tested ok at first glance. It compiles a simple hello world programme that downloads and runs...

However there seems to be a problem whenever elements of the stl are called, and I end up with a vast no. of "template with C linkage errors".

An example error being:

In file included from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-wrs-vxworks/2.95.4/include/stl_tree.h:57,
                 from /usr/local/powerpc-wrs-vxworks/sys-include/map:31,
                 from test.cc:45:
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-wrs-vxworks/2.95.4/include/stl_alloc.h: At top level:
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-wrs-vxworks/2.95.4/include/stl_alloc.h:92: template with C linkage

<I have snipped the rest of the (identical bar the header file) error codes, but if required they can be provided>

The compilation method used is:

powerpc-wrs-vxworks-g++  -mstrict-align -ansi -O2 -fvolatile -fno-builtin -fno-for-scope -g -x c++  -B/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-wrs-vxworks/2.95.4/ -DRW_MULTI_THREAD -D_REENTRANT -DCPU=3DPPC603 -DVXWORKS -DTHREAD -Dgcc272 -I/h -I/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-wrs-vxworks/2.95.4/include -I/usr/local/powerpc-wrs-vxworks/sys-include -I/export/home/flc/csrce/VXWORKS/tmp/Test// -I.  -c test.cc -o test.o

My gut feel is that I have somehow not configured the compiler correctly ??
Or maybe I need a more up to date compiler than 2.95.4 ??

Anyway I am not an expert on building compilers and hence am now rather
stuck. Any and all help / advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Fergus Crawford

Avionic Systems Research Section
Internal Box 255