Re: newlib on powerpc-eabi with soft-float

Thanks, I followed your advice and added all the verbosity flags I could
find to my AIX hosted build. The crucial piece of information that it gave
me was the following:

attempt to open /usr/toolchain/..../nof/libgcc.a succeeded

So the correct libgcc.a *was* being found by the linker on my AIX box but,
unlike my windows/cygwin hosted build, I was still getting a whole load of
unresolved symbol errors (unable to find functions like __muldf3 and
friends). On a hunch, I decided to copy the libgcc.a file from my windows
machine onto my AIX machine... the result was that the build now worked
perfectly. I therefore conclude that there is something wrong with the
libgcc.a that I built on my AIX machine. Any advice on how to test whether
it is corrupted etc?

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Jenkins
IBM UK Laboratories
Chris.Jenkins@uk.ibm.com

                      Kai Ruottu
                      <kai.ruottu@luukk        To:
                      u.com>                   cc:       Christopher Jenkins/UK/IBM@IBMGB, crossgcc@sources.redhat.com
                                               Subject:  Re: newlib on powerpc-eabi with soft-float
                      02/05/2002 20:00
                      Please respond to
                      Kai Ruottu

Peter Barada wrote:

> >However, the linker now complains about a whole load of unresolved
symbols:

> I don't claim to be an expert(I don't even play one on TV :-).
> The symbols missing are indeed functions to perform floating point
> operations.  To find out more, there are two things you can do:
>
> 1) change your link line to add '-v' which will cause the compiler
>    front end to dump the exact line that is passed to the linker
>    (which should tell you where its looking for libgcc.a and libc.a)
>
> 2) change your link line to add '-Wl,-Map,test.map' to genereate a
>    linker map file in test.map.  By looking through that, you'll find
>    what symbols are causeing what files to be link in(look for the
>    LOAD lines).

 The third would be the '-Wl,-verbose' on the GCC-command line, giving
the option '-verbose' to the GNU ld.  Then it verbosely tells what it
tries to do during the linking... Generating a log-file is recommended:

  E:\usr\local\ppc-eabi\bin>ld --help
  Usage: ld [options] file...
  <snip>
    --verbose                   Output lots of information during link
    --version-script FILE       Read version information script

The "Output lots of information" really means what it tells...  The '
--help'
is one basic option more to learn and try.

> >This problem only occurs when I try to run gcc on my RS/6000 AIX box.
When
> >I run gcc (configured and compiled exactly the same) on a Windows/Cygwin
> >machine, I don;t get any unresolved symbol problems at all.

 Perhaps there is something wrong with the AIX-hosted installation...
Anyway
the '-v -Wl,-verbose' should tell what options were given to the linker
(-v)
and what it did with them (-verbose)...

Cheers, Kai