arm-elf cross compiler

Hi

I don't know whether this should be on this list or the newlib list so i
will try here first.

I am wanting to develop applications for the arm evaluator board. I started
using an arm-linux corss compiler but this turned out to be unsuitable
because applications compiled with it were trying to make system calls to a
non existant operating system. I was told that to get applications to run on
their own without an operating system i needed to get an arm-elf cross
compiler.

I have built a cross compiler following the instructions from
http://www.billgatliff.com/articles/gnu-cci/x53.html

It uses :

binutils-2.11.2.tar.gz
gcc-2.95.3.tar.gz
newlib-1.9.0.tar.gz

It works fine for simple hello world programs, i can run them and debug them
in AXD fine. The problems start when i try to compile more complex programs
that need their configure script to be run. configure fails with :

	configure: error: can not run test program while cross compiling

I understand why it can't run test programs, and i have gathered that there
should be some header files that define things like endian-ness. Do these
come with newlib or gcc? Do i have to set them up myself? Maby i have missed
something during the compiler build process?

Any help greatly appreciated!