RE: gcc 2.96?

Yves Rutschle wrote:

> > Quick question: Can I find the source code for gcc-2.96 in FSF's
> > cvs tree? :p
> I very much doubt that.

There was a snapshot date in the version number towards the end of 1999;
if you do a CVS checkout -D with that date then you'll get a GCC source
that reports 2.96.

However, there's no telling if the version you want will match the FSF
tree. The GCC version string said 'VxWorks' so this is probably a
patched version from Wind River which may or may not have been based on
a patched version from RedHat rather than directly on the FSF tree.

> gcc-2.96 is produced by RedHat only, and the FSF hate them for that
> because they say it is broken. RedHat denies. I don't know.

'hate' is a little strong. GCC is free software and, IMO, Red Hat can
release whatever they like as long as they're willing to support it
(which they did). Arguably they shouldn't have called it GCC 2.96
without running that past the GCC SC first but I don't think they did
anything else wrong. In any case, Red Hat host gcc.gnu.org and a lot of
@redhats contribute a lot to GCC - I wouldn't knock them.

> Anyway, you should have more chances of getting it from
> RedHat.

You should ask Wind River for sources to this GCC, not Red Hat.

However, I think Wind River have been supporting their GCC targets in
the recent releases so you could also move to 3.0.4 or a 3.1 snapshot
instead. I don't think the gap between 2.96 and 3.x is as big as the gap
between 2.95.x and 2.96.

Rup.