Re: generating debug info for SingleStep Debugger

Peter Steiner wrote:

> I have built a m68k-elf-gcc 2.95.3 (from David Fiddes' patches) and
> managed to compile and link a short test program.
>
> Now I would like to debug it with SingleStep 7.6.2. I can load the ELF
> file but SingleStep can't find the source files ("test.c: cannot access
> source file"). The problem seems to be caused by cygwin, as the path to
> the source file embedded in the object file is in cygwin notation
> (/cygdrive/...). If I patch the file path in the object file with a hex
> editor, then SingleStep is able to load the source file.
>
> Does anybody know how to tell gcc not to use cygwin paths for object
> files?

 Simply don't use Cygwin at all...

 The alternative for Cygwin on Win32 hosts is Mingw, which behaves natively
using 'd:/directory' in the pathnames. Please see: 'http://www.mingw.org'

 One can build Mingw-hosted tools on any Unix-like system, like Linux, after
building cross-tools for Mingw (binutils, GCC) using the provided 'runtime'
(standards headers, startups and import libs to MSVCRT.DLL and CRTDLL.DLL)
and 'w32api' (Win32API headers and libraries) packages. Of course cross-
building Cygwin-hosted stuff is also possible, but after getting rid of the
need to have a Unix-like build-environment on Windoze, producing native
Windoze-apps on the chosen 'Unix' starts to look better...

 So the idea behind Mingw had been (this far) to produce native Win32 apps on
any suitable host, including Win9x/NT/2k/XP. But this hasn't included building
the GNU tools itself, which job has needed a Unix-like build host (Some use even
Cygwin)... But nowadays some brave? people try to duplicate the Cygwin-layer
(or the work of the Linux-, FreeBSD- etc. people...) with the 'MSYS'. The idea
is something like "if a car must be used on the road, it must be possible to
build and fix it there, so the car must some kind of car-factory/repair-center
itself and one can always try to build more and different cars with its tools...".

 Anyway the native Win32-things like disknames and backslashes are the default
everywhere with the Mingw-hosted tools (but the slashes will be understood too) :