FW: configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables

Please check if I am correct:

I think the error comes because after doing make of gcc, it tries to create
an executable for verification purpose. Since newlib is not installed yet so
while linking, it gives this error because it doesn't finds some of the
libraries which comes along with newlib. hence it gives the error:
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.
But once I install newlib and then again install the gcc, the error goes
off.
Hence personally I feel its always better practice to build a bootstrap gcc
first and then after building the newlib we should go ahead with the full
gcc installation. (The crossGCC FAQ at billgatliff.com explains it very
clearly)

One query :
After full installation of gcc, i see the files "sh-hitachi-elf-c++.exe" and
"sh-hitachi-elf-g++.exe" under the $PREFIX/bin directory (I am using
cygwin).
What is the difference between these two exe's??

Moreover I used the option "--enable-languages=c" while configuring GCC,
then why the "sh-hitachi-elf-g77.exe", "sh-hitachi-elf-c++.exe"
,"sh-hitachi-elf-g++.exe" are produced.

Thanks,
manoj