newlib on powerpc-eabi with soft-float

Hi,

I'm trying to build a toolchain for a powerpc-eabi target on an RS/6000 AIX
host. I can successfully build and use the following:

binutils-2.12
gcc-2.95.3
newlib-1.10.0

However, the target processor (MC8260) has no floating point unit and I'm
not sure whether Newlib is aware of this. Specifically, in setjmp.S, there
are a few lines of code to save the floating point registers (which the
MC8260 does not have) wrapped in an #ifndef _SOFT_FLOAT.  I'm guessing that
_SOFT_FLOAT should be being defined somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Is
there any option that I can give to the configuration script such that this
macro will be defined? I'm not too keen on hacking the code since I'm sue
that there must be another way...

Incidentally, I already give the --nfp switch to the configuration scripts
of binutils, gcc and newlib, but this doesn't seem to have much of an
effect.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Jenkins