Generating a Cross Compiler entirely from source

Well, I'm in the same situation that a few of the others on this list are in.

I need to generate a cross compiler chain, entirely from source.  The contract
I'm working from requires me to provide this capability, if it exists.

Heres the situation.
1. My host is a <sparc-linux-gnu>.  The target is <i386-pc-linux-gnu>.

2. I unarchive a source package for the Linux dist - 2.4.17.  I can do a
configure with no problem, and then copy the include directories over to my
target disk, in the right location.  No problem there.

3. I generate the binutils (latest CVS pull) with no problem.  These work
fine, and install with no problem on my target disk.

4. I unpack the glibc package (2.2.5) and generate a <make dep> OK.  I then
install <make install-headers>, and it copies all the headers into the right
places on the target.  Still no problem.

5. I unpack gcc (3.0.4), and configure it for generating a cross compiler.
Things are still going great.   I do a "make all-gcc" on this, and the <xgcc>
program is created OK.  It even works.  However, then it starts cross
compiling the runtime library, and things fail with pages full of errors,
which basically amount to a missing file, <features.h>.  This file is created
by the compiler, I think, when the compiler is installed.  But if I don't
have a compiler yet, how do I generate it?

Thanks-
David