Windows XP Cross-compile

Has anyone tried Cygwin hosted cross-compile tools under Windows XP?

In my case, Cygwin installs and runs reasonably well on XP. However,
when I copy binaries for a cross-compile tool chain
(target=powerpc-eabi,
gcc 2.95.2,  binutils 2.10) from an NT machine to an XP machine and try
to compile some code, the compile fails with an error message such as

cpp.exe:   (other normal looking stuff here) ;/ccMK7SSi.i: No such file
or directory

I guessed that this was a temporary file that was not successfully
created, so I checked the permissions on the directory. Under the Cygwin
shell, the permissions are the same as on the NT machine. However, by
right-clicking and selecting properties under Windows Explorer, the
directory always has the 'read-only' property checked.  When I simply
uncheck it, Windows traverses down the directory tree and appears to
change this property on this directory and all subdirectories. However,
when I check again afterwards, the 'read-only' property remains checked
even if I reboot. I have tried all kinds of configuration changes to
make the 'read-only' go away, including giving 'full control' permission
to everybody, but nothing works. Although I do not fully understand the
new Windows permission model details yet and need to check Microsoft's
web site for help on this XP issue, I am not sure that it is the cause
of my problems.

Has anyone else successfully cross-compiled under XP and, if so, using
which versions/targets of gcc?

Thanks,
Alex