What about missing symbols in a 'full' (newlib- upgraded) cross-compiler ?

Hi all,

Recently, I have had problems with building a powerpc-elf cross compiler (on
Solaris as well as on Linux, both gave the same problem at the same place).
I had built the 'core' cross-compiler, and after that I had successfully
built newlib (actually, version numbers should be irrelevant here).

When now building ('upgrading') to the 'full' cross-compiler, I had on 2
places (in ..../libiberty as well as in ..../nof/libiberty) a file
vsprintf.c that didn't compile (due to wrong header files ?). I removed the
building from the 2 Makefiles in the 2 directories. I've seen people around
having had the same problem. And one solution had also been the one I had
adopted.

Still, as I do this kind of thing quite occasionally, I do not fully
understand what that action has exactly done (and what eventual limitations
I now have). I guess that the vsprintf- function is now not available
without explicitly linking the library in which the newlib package has been
putting it. Is this correct ? If not, what exactly happened ? I have the
function available in the appropriate newlib library, don't I ? So what's
the real problem now (unless eventually having to link the appropriate
library explicitly) ?

Thanks,

Philippe Bertin