ARM tool chain & other questions...

Hi guys & gals,

i've a couple\three questions on the arm gcc cross-compilier. i've built the
gcc tool chain for arm-thumb-elf and it works well. I've been messing around
with GDB and the simulator, writing simple programs to get the hang of it. I
lack a great deal of knowledge in this field as i come from a background of
8052, 6800, HC11 & 68002 assemble programming (mostly 8052).

My first question is, how do i relocate code in the memory map. I've tried
changing the ld linker script from 0x8000 to say 0x10000 or 0x80000 but this
seem to have no effect. Am i on the right track at all??? I do remember
reading last week on some man/info page that the 0x8000 had something to do
with the demon debugger. I can't find this info now...

I'm using this mini project as a tutoiral in ARM(GCC) development to get me
up to speed on the basics.
Sceond question. I have a bare board. I don't need any RTOS at the moment, i
with try and get ecos working later but not yet. Is elf the correct file
format to start with?

I plan to start writing a downloader now soon that will take data (A
program) of the ARM serial port and save it to memory. By any chance is
there an elf to intel hex translator available on the net? I know it's bad
but old habbits die hard... ;-D   Is the elf file format complicated?? Would
it be as easy to download straight from it???

The final question... How stable is the GCC cross compiler when it's been
run on a windows machine under cygwin? Has many people developed major
projects on it. How did you find it. It looks stable to me but the longest C
program i wrote so far using this configuration was 40 lines and it was all
completed in one evening. What's the story if it's been used for a couple of
weeks or a month or two??

Thanks in advance for all the help....

Paul