Re: libgmon.a

ananda.motte@philips.com wrote:

> Hi there
> I used the -pg option (to run later the profiler ) on a small program compiled with
> arm-elf-gcc. The problem during link was that there were undefined references to
> mcount. I used newlib-1.8.2 to build mu GNU toolchain. In the configure.out file the
> message :
> This configuration is not supported in the following directories :
> target-libgloss

 The newlib-1.8.2/libgloss doesn't have a subdir 'arm', so ARM is not supported there.

> Given that it is the library libgmon.a which contains reference to _mcount, and
> this library is not built ... it is no wonder that link fails due to undefined
> references to mcount.

 Unfortunately I haven't a clue about where and how the 'libgmon.a' should be built --
the ARM-support in 'newlib-1.x.y/newlib/libc/arm' (this is the replacement for the
'libgloss/arm') doesn't seem to have any support for profiling...

> Is it normal that for arm targets libgloss configuration fails... ?

 It doesn't fail, it just doesn't need it ("is not supported in...")

> Have I done something awkward such that libgloss configuration fails ?
> Must I use a more recent version of newlib ..?

 Looking at the Intel/RedHat XScale/StrongARM GNUPro-distributions, the 'bsp'-packages
etc. could be recommended. Perhaps the profiling support is available there...

------------------------------ clip ------------------------------------------
Fri Jul  6 17:46:11 EDT 2001

GNUpro tools for the Intel X-Scale Microarchitecture are now hosted by Intel.

	http://developer.intel.com/design/intelxscale/dev_tools/

Redboot Debug Monitor for the Intel® IQ80310 board, Version 1.0

	ftp://download.intel.com/design/intelxscale/dev_tools/redboot-bin.tar.Z
	http://developer.intel.com/design/intelxscale/dev_tools/redboot-bin.tar.Z

Redboot Debug Monitor source code for the Intel® IQ80310 board, Version 1.0

	ftp://download.intel.com/design/intelxscale/dev_tools/redboot-src.tar.Z
	http://developer.intel.com/design/intelxscale/dev_tools/redboot-src.tar.Z

GNUpro Toolkit Getting Started Guide

	ftp://download.intel.com/design/intelxscale/dev_tools/xscalestart.pdf
	http://developer.intel.com/design/intelxscale/dev_tools/xscalestart.pdf

GNUpro for Windows NT hosts - COFF

	ftp://download.intel.com/design/intelxscale/dev_tools/i686-pc-cygwin-x-xscale-coff.zip
	http://developer.intel.com/design/intelxscale/dev_tools/i686-pc-cygwin-x-xscale-coff.zip

GNUpro for Windows NT hosts - ELF

	ftp://download.intel.com/design/intelxscale/dev_tools/i686-pc-cygwin-x-xsccale-elf.zip
	http://developer.intel.com/design/intelxscale/dev_tools/i686-pc-cygwin-x-xsccale-elf.zip

 The 'experimental' contains toolsets for StrongARM. In any case these prebuilt tools
can provide a nice reference for those self-built ARM-tools.

 Or any of those downloadable 'arm-elf'-toolsets for Win32-host on the net may have
info about this thing. Searching the archives of this maillist should give the
addresses...

Cheers, Kai