Re: _GLOBAL_$F$

Nik,

A while ago we experimented with moving from our MRI tool set to GCC.  I
converted a number of our embedded projects running on 68332 and the 68040,
and came up with much the same problem as you--size.  One of our projects
went from 80k to about 160k!

Here is the good news, I was able to significantly shrink the size by
playing with the optimizations.  First go through all of the different
optimization levels -O1..-O4 & -Os.  Contrary to what you may expect -Os
does not always produce the smallest size executable.  I found that
different projects would have the smallest sized produced with different
optimization levels.  Second, since we don't use the exception processing
stuff, I removed them by setting -fno-rtti and -fno-exceptions.  By finding
the optimal optimization level + those two extra arguments I was able to
shrink the size to 97k.  That's where I stopped (the project was an
experiment and once I proved we could move to GCC if we wanted then it
became low priority to actually do it).  I suspect that if I recompiled the
Newlib libraries (or replaced them completely with hand written ones) that I
was using with better optimization and using those two arguments I would be
able to get even closer to the original size.  I figure I would end up about
85-90k which would be close enough for us.

There was some discussion on one of the lists that I belong to as to why GCC
makes code that is more bloated than what the MRI outputs.  The eventual
answer to that basically boiled down to no one has maintained the m68k code
for a long time, other than to make sure that new GCC features (and new
additions to the m68k family) don't break it.  In other words no one has
optimized the output of GCC for the m68k in a very long time.  Very sad
considering that one of the m68k was actually the first chip GCC targeted.

As far as your _GLOBAL_$F$  I'm assuming that it has something to do with
the exception handling and much of it should go away using the right options
but I don't really know exactly what they are (and I don't have time to pour
through GCC source to figure it out, sorry).

I hope this helps some.

- Steve