RE: arm-elf cross compiler problem with newlib

  That bit is wrong: you've just added the path to the native tools, which
are presumably already in /bin.  You should have added the path to the new
arm-elf tools instead, which is based on your prefix setting:

>/tmp/build/arm-elf  --target=arm-elf
>--prefix=/tools--exec-prefix=/tools/H-i686-pc-cygwin
>--enable-languages=c --disable-threads --without-headers \
>--with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld  --with-newlib -v 2>&1 | tee configure.out

  The tools for a target live in $prefix/$target/bin usually, or in
$exec-prefix/$target/bin if you specify an exec-prefix, so what you needed
to say was more like:

PATH=/tools/H-i686-pc-cygwin/arm-elf/bin:$PATH
     ^^^^^^exec-prefix^^^^^^/^target/bin

although I always think it is unnecessary confusion to have different values
for $prefix and $exec-prefix, and I think the only reason you've done that
is to make it look the same as the cygwin native tools, which were placed
in that H- directory in early beta versions of cygwin for no good reason.
I'd recommend you just use --prefix=/tools, and then add /tools/arm-elf/bin
to $PATH.

>/src/newlib/newlib-1.9.0/configure --host=arm-elf
>--build=i686-pc-cygwin
>--prefix=/tools/H-i686=pc-cygwin/arm-elf  --enable-add-ons -v
>2>&1 | tee configure.out
>
>but configure fails ( ??? )..........

  And this will never work!  You *MUST* always use EXACTLY the same prefix
setting for Gcc, binutils and the library, otherwise they can't find each
other!!

  So try again; use only one --prefix setting and stick to it; add
$prefix/$target/bin to your path; and get rid of that --exec-prefix.

   cheers,
      DaveK
--
Burn your ID card!  http://www.optional-identity.org.uk/
Help support the campaign, copy this into your .sig!

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com