Re: "--with-headers=" Means What?

On Monday 27 August 2001 10:05, Jim Tison wrote:
> In the gcc configure step, I have to point the shell script to the header
> files for the target. Which header files? The OS-specific headers or the
> glibc (or newlib, as the case may be) headers? If I have to point to both,
> is there a way to specify multiple directories as the target of
> --with-headers=?
>
> None of the cross-gcc documentation is specific on this point ....
>
> TIA,
> --Jim--

Hmm....  I thought the cross-gcc documentation was VERY specific about this,
but I haven't looked at it in a while.  --with-headers is used only in a
cross compiling environment.  It's used to point to a set of kernel headers
that are already configured for the target you are interested in.  For
example, you'll need to untar and patch a kernel for an ARM platform, let's
say, then go in and do a 'make menuconfig' to select the
machine/arch/whatever, then do a 'make dep'.  This ensures that the kernel
headers and the links in include point to the right places.  I always do this
first before starting to build a new tool chain just to make sure I don't
forget...

--
  Jeff Sutherland, Accelent Systems, Inc.   <http://www.accelent.com>