RE: obtaining gcc3.0.1

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Simpkins, Andy [mailto:Andy.Simpkins@Transcomm.uk.com]
>Sent: 20 August 2001 10:37

 [ you might have had an answer to this one already ]

-76-wide-0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0------

>It has been suggested that I try using gcc3.0.1 as my arm-elf cross
>compiler to try and resolve a problem that I am having.

  Bear in mind, of course, that being the work-in-progress version of gcc,
it could have new and exciting bugs that you haven't come across before, and
that one day's version might work when the next day's doesn't, so there may
be a bit of trial and error here.  If you're going to muck around with the
latest snapshots, I'd seriously recommend that you subscribe to the main
gcc development mailing list, so you can see if people are discussing any
current bugs in the arm-elf support, and keep track of when things break and
when they get fixed again.

>Unfortunately I can not access the CVS repository (work won't open up any
>ports on the firewall).

  You could always take a baseball bat to your sysadmin.  That is taking
security to a pointless level that merely impedes the users' work flow,
impairs the functionality of the network, and doesn't provide any extra
security unless your sysadmin believes his network to be infested with
backdoor trojans that might try to phone home on the port used by the CVS
protocol, in which case he should be busy disinfecting the workstations
rather than trying to stop them opening outgoing connections.  Refusing to
allow an outgoing connection from one well defined machine (yours) to one
well defined remote server (gcc.gnu.org) on one specific port suggests that
your sysadmin doesn't know what he's doing and isn't competent to evaulate
the level of security risk posed by different network activities, or perhaps
merely that he hasn't read the firewall manual and can't be bothered to.

>Can anyone point me in the direction of a snapshot or mail me a copy?

  From the UK, the quickest source of the weekly snapshots is

ftp://sunsite.org.uk/Mirrors/sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gcc/snapshots

the most recent version appears to be 2001-07-16 according to the README
file in that dir.

           DaveK
--
" So far, science's crowning achievement, the Atomic Bomb, has not even
been able to alleviate the misery and torture of endless centuries of

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com