Gcc calling wrong assembler

I'm trying to build gcc 2.95.2 for an arm-elf target.  I've
done this before a couple times, but it was largely by accident
and I've never understood why it worked.

I've spent all day reading FAQs and trying different configure
options, and I'm stumped.  No matter what I do, I can't get
arm-elf-gcc to call arm-elf-as.

They only way I've ever gotten a cross-gcc build to work is to
put copies of the binutils binaries in /usr/local/arm-elf/bin/as
and so on.

But, none of the FAQ entries or the instructions I've seen say
you have to do this.  Why do I have to when nobody else does? :(

All I want to do is to tell gcc that it should use "arm-elf-as"
as the assembler.

I've tried all the different --*-prefix=whatever options I can
find.  I've tried setting AS_FOR_TARGET.  I've made sure that
/usr/local/bin/arm-elf-as is the first assembler in the path.

Nothing works. Gcc keeps calling "as" (which is an i386
assembler).

Can somebody point me to an explanation of how gcc decides what
assembler to call?

It just shouldn't be this hard...

--
Grant Edwards