Re: Updated build-crossgcc.sh, and a very preliminary FAQ

Y:

> So, don't take the following as a personal attack because maybe
> you know all that already :-)

Don't worry about my taking anything personally.

> For "Runtime library", you show an example with newlib. Fine, it's
> probably easier than showing Glibc (!). However, there should really
> be an explanation somewhere of what newlib is, and what it is not
> meant to be used for.

Good point.  A suitable addition to the FAQ is in order.

> About the debugger, well sure, you can build a debugger on your
> host, but it's going to be kind of useless (well, I think you can
> build a software model of your platform, but...) So either there
> should be some mention of gdbserver here, or something about
> crosscompiling gdb (ie having the whole of gdb running on the
> target... I guess this is possible).

Actually, having a crosshosted debugger is very useful: it lets you do
remote debugging.

For example, my systems here have debugging stubs on the target
platform.  I connect to them via ethernet or serial for debugging.  My
host workstation runs gdb, the target system runs the target program,
downloaded and controlled by the gdb on my workstation.

> maybe this doesn't belong in the FAQ

I think that just about any subject related to embedded GNU is
appropriate for the FAQ.  CrossGNU is more than tools, you know---
it's also techniques!

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff