library paths

Can anybody give me an idea on how the library paths work?
Here's my problem.  I created a cross-compiler from windows
targetting linux.  In order to do that, I copied the libs from /usr/lib on
my linux box to $prefix/i486-linux/lib on my windows box and I
copied /lib from my linux box to /lib on my windows box.  The linker
evidently looks in one place some times and in the other place the
rest of the time because it was looking for one library in /lib that was
actually in $prefix/i486-linux/lib as well as looking for one lib in i486-
linux/lib which was actually in /lib.  To get around this, I just created
symbolic links for those two files, which works.  What I'd really like
though is to be able to do it without any symbolic links and without
placing any libs in the /lib directory of my windows box (i.e. using a
directory pointed to by a LIB environment variable of some sort).
Does anybody have any good suggestions on how to do that?

thanks in advance
-Jim