RE: gen-params problem during make all install of gcc for powerpc-eabi with Solaris host

  The --with-headers is for the gcc configure, not binutils!!! That's why
it doesn't help and you have to try the next step:

>4. workaround probable bug in autogenerated scripts of step 5
>
>#cd $prefix/powerpc-eabi
>#ln -s sys-include include

  Also, the newlib headers are already ANSI compliant, and so don't
actually need fixing.  I don't think it would matter running fixincs over
them anyway, Kai Ruottu thinks it shouldn't be done unless it is
necessary.  If you agree with me you could add that --with-headers flag
to the gcc configure line; if you take Kai's view, you should make a couple
of soft links in your gcc *source* directory

#cd /export/home/gnu-source/gcc-2.95.2
#ln -s ../newlib-1.9.0/newlib newlib
#ln -s ../newlib-1.9.0/libgloss libgloss

  Kai is probably right, in that it's probably more 'proper' to not process
anything that doesn't need processing rather than to process it and hope
the processing turns out to be a correctly null operation...

>5. configure and (almost) install gcc
>
>#cd /export/home/gnu-source/build-gcc
>#../gcc-2.95.2/configue --target=$target --prefix=$prefix -v
>#make all install

  This should actually say

#cd /export/home/gnu-source/build-gcc
#../gcc-2.95.2/configue --target=$target --prefix=$prefix -v
#make LANGUAGES="c" all install

 because until the library is built, you can't build the C++ part of the
compiler.  So you build the compiler for C only at first.  And if you
haven't chosen to use the soft links, it should have the --with-headers
flag instead.

>(more disturbingly) "whether the C compiler works...no
>configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C
>compiler cannot create executables."

  And this is the symptom.  The compiler certainly can't create .exes at
this point, because you haven't built newlib yet, and so it doesn't have
any startup or c library files to link with.  It will, however, be able
to do raw compiles using -nostdlib so it doesn't need any of the libs or
crt files; and that's how newlib can be built.

  After you've built the C-only compiler, you should cd into your newlib
build dir, and configure, build and install it.

  Finally, it will be possible to return to the Gcc build dir, and repeat
the "make all install" command, only this time without the LANGUAGES=
setting.  That will build the remaining parts of the compiler, making use
of the fresh newlib.

   hth,
     DaveK
--
 All your base are belong to the Israeli army!  Oh, now they aren't again!

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com