Re: Configure options for mips cross compiler ?

"Manikandan.V" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I want to build a cross compiler for mips processor in NT machine what are
> the options I have to give while configuring and building.
>
> How about this ?
>
>         configure --target=mips
>         make LANGUAGES=c

 I'm quite sure that quite many others here are just as stupid as I am, and cannot
understand what you really mean by the 'mips'...

 I only know that the name 'MIPS' includes things like:

 - a processor architecture having 32-bit (R3000,...) and 64-bit (R4000,...) members,
   some microcontrollers with built-in I/O exist (Toshiba TX39, NEC VR41xx, VR43xx,...)
   The MIPS-CPUs are widely used in embedded systems.

 - systems using MIPS as their CPU do exist, like the SNI, SGI, DDE, Tandem etc. systems
   with UNIX SVR4. Once there also were WindowsNT/MIPS machines...

 - some WinCE 2.x machines using VR41xx series CPUs have been sold...

 - all these 'targets' have separate config names in GCC sources.

 Ok, the WindowsNT/MIPS is not a supported configuration, and the "mips processor in NT
machine" could mean just this...

> I tried all the options and combinations some time back for building the
> cross gcc, But I fed up and  left that work. Now, Again I have started. Help
> in this regard highly cut down my irritation on building the gcc compiler on
> cygwin environment.

 If the WindowsNT/MIPS is your target system, please forget the project... The WinNT/PPC
was once a supported system in Cygwin and some WinNT/Alpha ports also existed, but I
haven't ever heard about a Cygwin/Mingw port for WinNT/MIPS...

 If your MIPS-target is something else, better to define your project much better, like
"I want to produce 32-bit cross-tools for the Toshiba TX39 (R3000-compatible) processor,
what configuration name I should use for it?", and you could get an answer like "The
'mipstx39-elf' could be suitable, it is supported in the RedHat eCos-1.3.1, so reading
the build instructions for it via: 'http://sources.redhat.com/ecos' is suggested"....

 Every sane question may get a sane answer, being as precise as possible helps always,
but expecting people to be mind-readers is quite vain...

 BTW, the 'http://www.algor.co.uk' could be a suitable site for all kind of "MIPS-tools
for embedded"-info, their SDE-tools are freely downloadable and the Cygwin-host is
supported... Of course their compiler version (egcs-1.0.x) can be a little old...

Cheers, Kai