crossgcc debug with HP emulator

I am having problems creating code with my crossgcc that works properly with
the HP emulator that we are using.  We are converting a project from a
Microtec tool chain to the GNU tool chain for a M68x target.  The crossgcc
tools are configured for m68k-coff (hosted on a Sun), and I can successfully
compile, assemble, link and run (not withstanding code bugs) the code on the
emulator plugged into our target system, but can't seem to get the source
code to be displayed in the emulator window when debugging.

Originally we used the
-g    { generate debug info }
-Gf   { generates fully qualified path names for input files }
flags when compiling our code with the MRI compiler.  This allowed us to
automagically display the C and C++ source in the debug window of our
emulator when we were stepping through code.

Now I am using -gstabs flag on the crossgcc (-g would kill our emulator when
-gcoff (doesn't help any, and causes a segfault when using objcopy to create
srecords) and other permutations of -g that seem reasonable

While I can get it running on the emulator and even debug (instruction
stepping specifically), trying to step through C/C++ code at the assembly
instruction level is painful.  Is there a flag that I am missing or another
permutation of the -g flag that will allow me to display the C/C++ source in
my debugger? Is there an equivalent flag to the MRI -Gf that we were using
(and I suspect is mostly responsible for our previous ability to display the
C/C++ source)?

I am a relative newbie to using a crossgcc, so I figure that I am missing
something obvious and simple.  I would greatly appreciate any help from
someone who is doing this successfully.

Thanks,
- Steve

--