change in gas stabs generation 2.9.1 to 2.9.5

Digging through source, I can see that the stabs generation has changed
between the versions.  Unfortunately the new stabs code breaks VisionXD.
(VisionXD is fine with 2.9.1.)  Larry Osborn at EST had this to say when
I asked him about it and sent an example:

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 09:16:35AM -0700, Larry Osborn wrote:
> The big problem with this compiler is with the debug output - the
> debug information belongs to a temporary file ("/tmp/cc7maaaa.s")
> created as part of preprocessing, whereas the line numbers indicate
> the "example.S".

The old stabs generation code used the _logical_ filename for the call
to generate_asm_file (N_SO, file), but the new stabs code uses the
_physical_ filename.

I spent an afternoon and came up with a small patch to get the old
behaviour from gas 2.9.5, but this has raised some questions:

* Is it acceptable for a debugger to only look at the initial N_SO stab
  when determining a source code filename?
* What was the reasoning behind changing the N_SO stab in gas from
  logical to physical?

thanks.

--
  Aaron J. Grier   |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |   aaron@frye.com
  "The simplistic anthropomorphism which asserts that source code has a