RE: Error: CC not set to working compiler

RakeshN <rakeshn@kpit.com> wrote:

> Should i also set the CC variable ?

No.

> But =
> configure is already finding  the correct gcc [...]

Good!

> [...] then why should i set it =
> explicitly?

You shouldn't. The problem is elsewhere. Your Cygwin-targeted gcc runs file, it
just can't find the rest of the toolchain, the assembler in particular.

Here's the question no one has addressed yet in this thread. You say you
configure by running "srcdir/configure". That's absolutely correct. But what's
in srcdir? If it's just GCC, that's the root of your problem. You need the full
Cygnus toolchain in there, the minimum required modules being libiberty, bfd,
opcodes, binutils, gas, ld, gcc, newlib, libgloss, and winsup (plus all the
support glue). All those FAQs that say that you need to build this compiler
first, then that compiler, etc. are actually wrong. Not just the compiler, but
the whole toolchain, the full Cygnus tree.

This is exactly the uphill battle I'm fighting. A lof of people see the world
from the GNU perspective, with separate GCC, Binutils, GDB, etc. While this
world view may work for native GNU systems (I abstain from further comment here
as I distance myself from those), it is totally wrong for embedded development.
For embedded development, forget about GNU and learn to see the world from the
Cygnus perspective instead, with one single toolchain tree. See my article on
this subject in /pub/embedded/cygnus-tree-intro on ivan.Harhan.ORG.

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)