HELP: The "-j" (jobs) option of 'make' does not work!

Hello,
I'm trying to use the "-j" option of GNU's make when building my m68k
cross-compiler so that it can create multiple jobs and do more than one
thing at a time, hopefully to reduce the build time on my dual-processor
machine.

Environment:
Tekram P6B40D-A5 (Intel 440BX)
Intel Celeron 300A@464MHz (x2)
256MB PC100 SDRAM
Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (sp6)
Cygwin 1.0 (I have not upgraded it yet -- would that help?)
GNU Make version 3.77

I enter something like "make -j cross" (after configuring for the proper
target). I monitor the utilization of the two CPU's. It gets pretty far
without any apparent problems, and I often see that both CPU's are
simultaneously above 50% utilization (indicating that my dual-processor
setup is at least somewhat helpful). But it eventually freezes. No
errors or anything, just frozen. I forget if my whole system is frozen
or just the command prompt window. If I remember correctly, when I check
the list of processes, I see a bunch of "bash" and/or "sh" programs
running. Not sure about this however... I'd have to try again if you
want more specific details. I do know that it hangs up however. I tried
several times and it did the same thing, although (I believe) in a
different place each time.

Basically, I just want to know if anyone else has had success/problems
trying to do this, and if you can recommend anything. If you want more
specifics on what is going on when my build dies, I'd be happy to try
again and see.

TIA for any help!
Chris
begin:vcard