Re: more Linux --> AIX cross compiler questions

Tom Williams wrote:

> Thanks for the info.  It looks like I'm out of luck.  Unless I can convert
> the AIX libs to teh "old" format that GNU tools can use, I'm stuck.
>
> Here is the powerpc-aix4.3-nm output using the binutils-990824 snapshot:
>
> [root@unixgw binutils-990824]# powerpc-aix4.3-nm --version
> GNU nm 990824
> Copyright 1997, 1998, 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
> the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
> [root@unixgw binutils-990824]# powerpc-aix4.3-nm /mnt/disk2/build/usr/lib/libc.a
> powerpc-aix4.3-nm: /mnt/disk2/build/usr/lib/libc.a: File format not recognized

 Is only the archive format unrecognized ('powerpc-aix4.3-ar tv libc.a' also
cannot show anything inside 'libc.a') ? Or are the objects inside 'libc.a' also
unrecognized?

 I mean that you could perhaps extract the objects inside the 'libc.a', using
the native AIX-archiver, look them again one at a time with 'powerpc-aix4.3-nm'
and see what it tells... This is for expecting healthy lazyness in the library
builders -- already compiled working routines are left as they are, in the old
format... The README.RS6000 says there is a '-g' option in AIX4.3 archiver for
building old 'small' archive libraries, or you could use the GNU ar for
rebuilding them into 'old format' libraries...

 If the library objects also cannot be looked with 'powerpc-aix4.3-nm', the
XCOFF-format has been changed, then you are out of luck if you cannot find a
object conversion program...

 The whole conversion idea relies on handling the libs 'just as static libs',
the 'shared library' nature in them can still cause many problems...

Cheers, Kai