Cygwin -> Linux crosscompiler, How to use it?

---------->---------->---------->---------->---------->---------->---------
->->
(Sorry for the incomplete last posting)

Hi,
I managed to build a Cygwin hosted Linux crosscompiler last week, but I do
have some problems when crosscompiling some packages.

I'm configuring like this:

$ CC=i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc RANLIB=i686-pc-linux-gnu-ranlib \
 /usr/src/<package>/configure -v

Configure starts, working, but:
.
.
checking whether the C compiler (i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc  ) works...

gives a messagebox with the title "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem"

| \/  NTVDM has encountered a System Error    |
| /\  The handle is invalid.                  |
|      | Terminate |        | Ignore |        |

(I guess this is the configure script trying to run a temporary
executable file) I just press Terminate and the configure script goes on.
Then:
.
.
checking whether the C compiler (i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc  ) is a
cross-compiler... no

no? This should be yes! shouldn't it? Then I get more of the same
messagebox.

$ make

Usually compiles nice, and the executables do work on a linux computer. For
some packages configure tries to figure out the size of some types, in
which it usually fails. How can I fix this?

Question 2:
This is more a BASH question. How can I remove the .exe extention in a easy
way? Have anyone made a simple script for this?

Regards,
Øystein