Re: Linux->Cygwin->PPC

Brendan Simon <brendan@dgs.monash.edu.au> writes:

> I want to build a cross compiler (Cygwin->ppc-eabi and Mingw->ppc-eabi)
> with egcs-1.1.2.  I am going to follow Mumit's Cygwin and Mingw HOWTOs
> (The one's I have are for egcs-1.1.1 but I assume little has changed
> since these were written).  They say to get the Cygwin development
> source from sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/latest.  I have done that
> but want to confirm that this is the best version to use.  ie. Is there
> any later snapshot of the Cygwin source that anyone would recommend over
> the one in sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/latest ?
>
> I guess I could miss the first step of creating the Linux-Win32
> cross-compilers as there are some binary images on objsw.com.  They are
> egcs-1.1.1 (last time I looked) but I would prefer to use egcs-1.1.2.  I
> am using egcs-1.1.2 on Win32 and on Linux so I would like to avoid
> mixing matching of versions.  I feel safer if I'm building egcs-1.1.2
> cross-compilers using egcs-1.1.2 compilers.  Am I just being overly
> paranoid ?

I would be cautious about one thing -- the Cygwin B2.01 binutils (known as
version 2.9.4) has a bug when targetting ppc-eabi where forward references
didn't work correctly. I did this for a FSF customer once, and I ended up
using 2.9.1 (and one of the newer binutils snapshots) instead of  the
Cygwin b20.1 distribution, and it came out just fine.

Of course, I built everything on a Linux box to maintain my sanity, but
Cygwin should be stable enough now to do all of this, albeit slowly.

Forget the pre-built one, and start from scratch. There's a bit of a
learning curve, but on a fast machine, the iterations don't take that
long ;-)

As far as my howto, just substitue 1.1.2 for 1.1.1 (and don't forget
to cross your fingers).

Good luck.

Regards,
Mumit